Lifestyle Parenting

The things I said before I had kids…

April 22, 2017

You know before you had kids, you had this perfect image of what an amazing brood you’d have who’d behave beautifully when out, would always look presentable, would never cry or scream when on a plane, train etc… well I had these ‘visions’ but of course real life parenting and living with two under three means what what I thought is not often the case now (and frankly some of the things I thought were maybe a little ridiculous)!

Here are 10 crazy things I thought and said before I had children…

1. They shouldn’t be in a coffee shop/restaurant if they can’t control their children or keep them quiet (sorry but I definitely thought that, NAIVE)!! Well let me tell you now there have been times when I am SO sleep deprived and in need of a coffee where I am not sat in a freezing park that I have been in a coffee shop. Amelie has definitely made noise, has been running around and probably (definitely) annoyed people.
  2. My children won’t watch a phone / iPAD when out or ever. hahahaha what was I thinking? Amelie and Evie don’t watch loads of things but there are times when the iPad has been an absolute life saver for diverting a tantrum on a plane, when we’ve been stuck on miles of motorway traffic or one of them decided to wake and not go back to sleep at 4am. I take it all back.
  3. When they nap I’ll rest. Whoever started this wasn’t ever a Mummy of a child that NEVER slept! When Amelie finally did sleep, after hours of screaming, the last thing on my mind was rest it was tackling the roof high washing pile or eating.
  4. I’ll have a water birth with no pain relief and whatever happens I’ll never have a csection.Β Two c-sections later I feel a little silly.
  5. I’ll never buy them expensive shoes/clothes as they’ll grow out of them straight away. It seemed such a good idea, but at 2am, when you’re browsing Instagram to stay awake on a night feed these amazing things that look so beautiful seem like such a good idea. Amelie’s pink Ugg boots – worn once, do I know where they are now, nope!!
  6. Β They’ll eat what I cook and I’ll never make anything else. Amelie hardly eats, I find it really stressful but am trying to go with the flow a bit more. I cook her lots of nice food but sometimes it doesn’t get eaten, have I then cooked something else to make sure she doesn’t go hungry! Yes!!!
  7. I won’t let my house become overrun with toys. Unfortunately our house looks like a plastic rainbow explosion most days. The girls have SO many toys!
  8. Why doesn’t she pick her child up? She’s crying. I’ve learnt now that sometimes you can’t always pick them up, you need to get home and nothing will do at that point in time, or they’re having a whinge before going to sleep. I didn’t really understand this before I had children and as you grow and learn it becomes easier to read them and respond.
  9. They’ll only have fruit as snacks. Oh the things I said. Amelie hates fruit, I really try but she just doesn’t like it. She loves veg though so I load her up on that at meal times and unfortunately the fruit will have to go a miss for now and other snacks have to do.
  10. Whatever happens I’ll still look good and always have my hair done/make up on. There are some days when a shower is a challenge. I’ll leave that one there.

What things did you say before you had children that you now do?

Lucy At Home
My Petit Canard
Rhyming with Wine
Tammymum
Mummuddlingthrough

• Reply mummyemblog April 22, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I said exactly the same. Also I would make sure my hair and make up was done each day. Ha can’t remember when my hair looked decent x

• Reply Angela Watling April 25, 2017 at 3:39 pm

I definitely thought the same about TV and toys. My daughter doesn’t watch loads but it’s definitely a good way to keep her quiet when cooking. As for the toys, I think you’ve said it for all of us… #MarvMondays

• Reply Autumn's Mummy April 25, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Hahaha, you really don’t realise just how much parenthood will change you! We were all so naive once πŸ™‚ #MarvMondays

• Reply beauty and the minibeasts April 25, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Nothing can ever prepare you for it hey! I was exactly the same, thought all of your points. Never judge a woman until you’ve walked in her fluffy slippers.
    #dreamteam

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 25, 2017 at 9:33 pm

So true and you’re right nothing can prepare you for motherhood (sorry NCT) x

• Reply Sadie April 26, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Sometimes it’s good to let things slide, for your own sanity!
    #marvmondays

• Reply beyourownexample April 26, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Sometimes it’s good to let things slide, for your own sanity!

• Reply Jessicah - @thornylullaby April 27, 2017 at 5:44 am

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH! OH MY! YES. This was soooo funny! and so damn true. #dreamteam xx

• Reply Megan Bidmead (@whispertoroar) April 27, 2017 at 6:37 am

I said so many silly things before I had kids … my fave being ‘I’m definitely doing controlled crying with my kids’. Turns out we are both massive softies and also, my daughter has asthma and would hyperventilate if we left her to cry even for a few minutes at a time! She learnt to self settle eventually. Lol. It was a good idea in theory … #coolmumclub

• Reply motherhoodtherealdeal April 27, 2017 at 10:17 am

BAHAHA all of this….ALL OF THIS! What are we like? Just served those words up on a plate and let us eat them right now! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely and hope you’re well let’s do that hang out soon! xoxo

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 29, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Yes definitely! I’ll be in touch – off on hols in a week but maybe when I’m back? X

• Reply Nicole April 27, 2017 at 1:57 pm

SPOT ON on every point! I guess you never know till you experience it right? Here are some more naive things I thought and said before…

• Reply Nicole April 27, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Sorry, popping in from #coolmumclub

• Reply Wendy April 27, 2017 at 6:15 pm

I think I thought/said all of 5hese things before I became a mum too. I was adamant my future children would never watch TV or eat sweet things..my 3 year olds favourite activity is cuddling up on the sofa with a film and some chocolate- oops! I think we all picture life with kids to be some5hing completely different to the reality. Fab post, thanks for linking to #BlogCrush xx

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 29, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Very true we really do. In reality it’s much harder. Thanks for stoping by x

• Reply alifeinpracticeblog.com April 28, 2017 at 6:16 am

This is hilarious and so very true! The screen time thing gets me, I’d be lost without that extra helping hand some days! xx #coolmumclub

• Reply justsayingmum April 28, 2017 at 9:02 am

ha ha ha – oh I giggled my way through this – so so true! All of it. Think I thought all the same too. You’ll be relieved to know that I have failed with all my parenting dreams – all of them! All the mum guilt on a daily basis over here xx #CoolMumClub

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 29, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Haha, glad it’s not just me then! Thanks so much for stopping by x

• Reply mommyandrory April 28, 2017 at 6:41 pm

A post which all parents can relate to! I wrote a very similar post called things we said we would never do (http://mommyandrory.com/good-parenting-things-said-never/) food and screen time featured in my list too! ? #coolmumclub

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 29, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Ahhh I need to read this! I think most people say that about screen time don’t they – you soon change your mind ?

• Reply JakiJellz April 29, 2017 at 7:56 pm

All of the above! But let’s be honest – we have no clue what we are talking about. Having a newborn is all about survival! Great list! #familyfun

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 29, 2017 at 7:57 pm

So true! I think having children is all about survival too (or maybe that’s just me) ?

• Reply tammymum April 30, 2017 at 6:19 am

Pahahaha oooh yes my idealistic mothering dream has been well and truly shattered. Mine are on the iPad as we speak. I think a biggy for me was food, theyvwonr eat crap, they won’t over do the chocolate lots of veg. Well what a fool. Have you tried getting brocollin into a toddler?! Well then and I more often than I care to admit use chocolate as a bribe. That’s a double whammy there isn’t it. #fail. Thanks for joining us at #familyfun

• Reply Alana - Burnished Chaos April 30, 2017 at 7:28 am

Ha ha, I said/thought all of these things too, how naive I was ?
    #FamilyFun

• Reply Mom Of Two Little Girls April 30, 2017 at 5:36 pm

My children will never have a dummy!!! How silly. Night two after we were home from the hospital and for the next 3&1/2 years I never looked back.
    What did we know!
    #marvmondays

• Reply Louise April 30, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Oh yes I can definitely relate to these. Most of these went through my head before having children and then I learned what parenthood was really like! The iPad is a lifesaver at times! #coolmumclub

• Reply Annette, 3 Little Buttons May 1, 2017 at 8:13 pm

LOVE. THIS. POST. It’s everything that I thought too. Isn’t it funny when you are looking on (pre tiddlers) how different it all seemed. Simple even. That’s until they actually arrive! Thanks so much for sharing with the #DreamTeam x

• Reply sarahsurreymama May 1, 2017 at 8:18 pm

It’s so true! I even thought these things before my second and promptly changed my mind again??

• Reply crummymummy1 May 3, 2017 at 3:37 pm

I always used to say I’d never have children with crusty, snotty noses. What I didn’t realise is that it’s impossible to keep their noses clean all the time! #familyfunlinky