My sister is due her second baby VERY soon and it occurred to me a couple of months ago that it would be really nice for her to have a baby shower. When you’re pregnant with your second there isn’t as much of a fuss made about your pregnancy, you’re knackered from running around after a toddler/child, so any excuse for some pampering comes greatly received.
I planned my sisters first baby shower, we had afternoon tea at my house where I made everything but with two little ones I thought we’d try something different this time, a surprise and lunch out!
Now, if my sister were to have any job I would say she would make a very good spy. Nothing and I mean nothing passes her by, if you are doing something, planning anything or talking about something near her she’ll know or work it out. Bearing this in mind I am not sure why I thought a surprise baby shower was a good idea but I like challenges!
My first hurdle was finding a date. Another thing my sister is good at is organisation so of course her husband had NO idea what they were doing every weekend until the baby was born so I left it to him to break into her phone! Once we finally had a date it was onto the task of asking her friends and finding a venue for 10 women.
We live by the river so a venue with a view is always nice on a good day! I chose The Minnow in Weybridge which is an amazing gastro pub which we’ve been to a few times. The day of the shower happened to be the hottest day so all the outdoor seats were taken but being inside with two heavily pregnant ladies was probably a good thing!
As my sister and I hand most things down I decided to put together a hamper of lovely things I’ve found on Instagram and bits you’d like as new for a new baby.
I bought a plain box, put in some tissue paper and added the following gifts…
- Fizz – because every new Mummy will need a glass of fizz after having a baby
- Green & blacks chocolate – for those late night feeds
- Blossom & Bear teether – I have one of these for Evie and she loves it so thought it would be a good one to keep aside for when the new baby starts teething
- Kokoso baby cream – I’ve seen this lots and have heard rave reviews about how good it is. I haven’t tried it yet so thought I’d let my sister be the test 🙂
- Jo Jo Maman Bebe comforter – my sisters eldest loves bunny toys and always sleeps with one so it’s nice for the new baby to have her own
- Teething necklace by Trendy Mama by Holly – we LOVE teething necklaces in this house, Evie is constantly chewing ours. This necklace by Trendy Mama by Holly is gorgeous and the perfect colours for my sister.
- Next leggings and t-shirt outfit – as my sister and I hand all of our baby clothes down she has A LOT already but I couldn’t resist this little summer number
You can’t have a baby shower without cakes. I ordered cupcakes from Sarah at Bessie’s Bakery who made Amelie’s amazing farm yard cake for her 2nd birthday, so I knew they would look and taste great. They were amazing!!
My sister WAS surprised and it was such a good afternoon! It was so nice to have lunch out especially when you have an older one as she could really relax and enjoy catching up with friends.
The gift went down well and she is already wearing the necklace, so I’ll take that as a win!
I thought it would be hard to organise but with a little help from a her husband, some lovely Instagram inspiration for the gift and a good venue it wasn’t too difficult to organise.
So there you have it, a surprise baby shower which actually surprised the HARDEST person in the World to surprise!
Have you planned a baby shower? Did you also do a surprise one?
*We were kindly sent the teething necklace for us to review as part of this post. All views and opinions are our own and 100% honest*