Lifestyle

Easter baking (with toddlers)

April 11, 2017

I love Pinterest for inspiration whether that be for the girls bedrooms, clothes, travel or in today’s case – CAKE!

There is no doubting that my daughter loves cake, I am fairly partial to a slice as well – probably where she gets it from. We started having a look at Easter bakes together as I like to bake with her regularly as it’s a good activity after her nap.

We pinned some images on Pinterest together, here’s what we found…

FullSizeRender-75.jpg

You can check out my pinterest page here

One particular cake caught our eye; the three tired, mini egg topped cake so when Amelie’s cousin came to see us we got baking.

Our Mini Egg’s Easter Cake

We used our own recipe for the actual cake, but used the recipe we found as decoration inspiration. Here’s the recipe and what we did…

Recipe

• 4 eggs
  • 225g/8oz caster sugar
  • 225g/8oz self raising flour
  • 225g/8oz unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • a dash of milk to loosen the mixture if necessary
  • x2 cake tins (we only made two tiers as toddlers definitely don’t need three layers of cake)!!
  • Good quality jam (whatever you have in the fridge will do)

For the butter cream icing

•  One pack of unsalted butter (250g pack)
  • 250g icing sugar
  • A splash of milk
  • x4 90g bags of Mini eggs

What we did:

1. Firstly heat the oven to 180C
  2. Grease and line 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins (this is an adult job) 🙂
  3. Mix the butter and the caster sugar together
  4. Add the vanilla extract
  5. Then mix the eggs together in a bowl, before adding to the butter and sugar mixture. I add flour here to make sure the mixture doesn’t split
  6. Add the baking powder
  7. Once everything is added and mixed you should find that the mixture is soft and drops off a spoon
  8. Divide the mixture between the tins and then cook for 20 – 25 mins (at this point we did an Easter egg hunt to distract the toddlers from the fact they couldn’t eat the cake)
  9. Once out of the oven, cool in the tins and after 20 mins put on a wire rack
  10. Then make the butter cream. Mix the butter, icing sugar, a dash of milk and a drop of vanilla extract and mix with an electric whisk
  11. Then add the jam to the top of one of the cakes, put the other on top and then spread the buttercream all over the cake
  12. Finally add the mini eggs

Then eat and in my case ruin my toddlers dinner!! ops.

IMG_4015FullSizeRender-76IMG_4016IMG_4013

The results of our toddler mini egg cake

IMG_4010IMG_4011

What have you been baking for Easter? Do you love some of the cakes we found on Pinterest?

Tammymum

• Reply stressymama April 13, 2017 at 7:04 am

Oooh that looks lovely. I’m a useless baker so I doubt my cake would look as nice as yours if I were to attempt it! I suddenly have the urge to have cake for breakfast.. haha. #familyfun

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 14, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Haha! Ops sorry. I shouldn’t have posted at breakfast should I! Let me know if you try it x

• Reply The Queen of Collage April 14, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Oh wow it looks fantastic and I bet it tasted delicious. #FamilyFun

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 14, 2017 at 8:13 pm

It was really nice (if i do say so myself ☺) thanks so much! X

• Reply Mrs Mummy Harris April 14, 2017 at 8:22 pm

oooooooooooooo that looks amazing!!!!! wow such a good idea to try this weekend! #Familyfun

• Reply tammymum April 15, 2017 at 10:06 am

That looks like an amazing cake. My two love baking, or eating the ingredients anyway. But it’s a great activity when you’re stuck inside. This definitely looks like a cake they would enjoy making and eating so perhaps we’ll give it a go later. Thanks for sharing at #familyfun

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 15, 2017 at 10:11 am

Let me know if you do, it’s really not too difficult (and the mini eggs are always a hit with the children ☺) thanks for reading x

• Reply motherfreckle April 15, 2017 at 11:55 am

Haha! Baking is always fun with toddlers isn’t it! ?

• Reply thetaleofmummyhood April 15, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Ah this looks so cute! You have some fab ideas pinned too, I love baking with the littles! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza, hope to see you again next week xx

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 15, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Thanks, hope you found something good! Pleasure, thanks for having us xx

• Reply Digital Motherhood April 15, 2017 at 6:23 pm

This looks great, I love mini eggs! #Blogstravaganza

• Reply Helen April 15, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Aww that looks amazing – so perfect for Easter! We’ve made classic cornflake cakes, Easter bunny tortilla wrap crisps and French toast hot cross buns are on the menu for breakfast tomorrow 🙂 #Blogstravaganza

• Reply sarahsurreymama April 15, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Thank you☺ Oooh French toast hot cross buns sound amazing I’m going to google them! Xx

• Reply Happy Easter #FamilyFunLinky - Two Tiny Hands - Adventures with the Robot April 18, 2017 at 11:02 pm

[…] from Surrey Mama for Easter Baking and Catie from Diary of an Imperfect Mum for Autism Awareness Video.  Well done you can pick up […]