If there’s one thing I’ve found this week with Amelie starting school it’s been without asking the right questions and at the right times, I don’t get more than an ‘I don’t know’ or ‘I don’t remember’ about her days at school.
I thought I’d share some of the ways I’ve found work really well, using the few days we have had this week and questions I have learned worked well from her time at pre-school…
15 questions and tips that prompt your child to talk about their day at school
1) Firstly in order to make this work, have a little look in their classroom in the morning (if you can), take a look at their lunch menu and this should help steer the conversation.
2) What was the best thing that happened at school today?
3) Did you play with the paints/dinosaurs (whatever you saw that morning in their classroom)
4) Did you paint a rainbow or a dinosaur (they’ll either say one or say ‘nooo I did this mummy’)
5) Who did you sit with at lunchtime, did you sit with *child’s name*
6) Who would you like to sit near?
7) Did you eat peas or carrots? They should then give you the one they had and might even tell you something else they had.
8) What did you think about the fish fingers today, were they delicious?
9) What was the best thing you did in the playground? (if you know what’s in the playground that helps as you can ask if they went on the slide or sat under the big tree)
10) Did you do anything kind today?
11) Did your teacher read the Gruffalo today?
12) Did anyone do anything that made you cross?
13) Did you play with (child’s name) today? Usually, I’ll get a yes or ‘no Mummy I played with xx and we did this together’.
14) Did you find anything boring?
15) If you still don’t get much from them don’t worry. This weekend we’ve been going about our normal routines with the girls and I’ve been doing a lot of listening. Amelie has been either drawing or watching something and will say ‘oh we sang this song at school’ and then I’ll ask questions from there. I’ve found that she gives me the most information when I least expect it so it’s making sure I’m giving her the time to tell me then.
How have you found the first few weeks? Are you finding out much?