Parenting

What parents REALLY want for Christmas

November 22, 2017

I love a wish list post, it always give me lots of inspiration but I decided for my first Christmas wish list post I would ask some parent friends what they REALLY want for Christmas this year.

We parents don’t have much time, don’t get out much and generally spend most of our days with the little ones so forget the bubble bath and diffusers – this is what frazzled parents really want…

For the Mums

A date. And not “where do you want to go”. Organising all the stuff beforehand, choosing a venue, booking a table or tickets or the like, getting babysitter, doing night shift and even maybe bit of next morning early shift. Just a few little things!

In essence: time. An offer of babysitting so we can go our for dinner.

No ‘what do you want for Christmas?’ A real surprise with no unsubtle hints or questions. A day of shopping, a nice lunch and the theatre would be amazing. Or a spa. Or just doing something without rushing!

A bottle of really nice wine for those nights where you want a treat together over a nice meal (and hopefully the kids are in bed).

Some jewellery, something that my husband has chosen himself. Using his initiative! Or the Little Mermaid on DVD 😂

surprise without any hints, some time and thought put into it where I don’t have to do the planning/sorting/thinking!

A ‘proper’ night out in London with dinner, where we stay in a plush hotel and have a spa day the next day.

If we could I would even dream of a weekend away in Scandinavia or Portugal. Or for him to organise our next holiday.

A cleaner was my birthday present one year and this was the best present ever.

A voucher for my favourite shop and the day off to go there and spend time choosing something I want rather than rushing with a toddler or baby screaming while I try and find something.

And the Dads

Two hours to go to a coffee shop and just read the paper in peace.

A decent nights sleep and a lie in.

A trip to Anfield….who says romance is dead!

Things for my bike, lights, a water bottle and clothes.

A day in bed watching films (with takeaways to feed me)!

Beer and a Netflix subscription

So there you have it, that’s what a selection of parents really want for Christmas. What I loved most about compiling this was how short and sweet the Dad’s ideal presents were (which mostly revolved around sleep, coffee and beer) and how the Mum’s answers had a lot more to them (and might require a little more budget)!

What’s your ideal Christmas present?

Sarah x

• Reply The Mummy Bubble November 23, 2017 at 7:07 am

My vote goes to the proper night out. Dinner and an overnight stay in London would be so lavish! #thursdayteam

• Reply Lisa - Little Orange Dog November 23, 2017 at 8:59 am

Some fab ideas there and yes, those are the things that we really want #ThursdayTeam

• Reply Kristie - Mammaprada November 23, 2017 at 11:28 am

Love this! I think I want all of them! I would say looking at this we really want our partners to read our minds and come up with the most perfect surprise gift and day out ever but without any input! LOL! I wish it was that simple! #ThursdayTeam

• Reply Pip Milburn November 23, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Yes yes yes!! I want all of this, but mainly a cleaner! Or a night in a hotel that has a luxury spa xx

• Reply oldhouseintheshires November 23, 2017 at 7:12 pm

A cleaner?? OMG that would be the best gift ever. We both have our birthdays too at Christmas so never really but anything for each other just the occasion ‘home’ pressie which is a bit pants. I would just choose a lie in or a whole vat of wine tbh.
    #ThursdayTeam

• Reply Kate November 23, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Great lists. I would love to be surprised with something nice rather than having to say exactly what I want and to say which shop, what shelf etc. Popping over from your linky

• Reply Kirsty November 24, 2017 at 10:16 am

YES! I 100% want something I haven’t had to hint at (I think I have dropped enough over the year) and time away from the kids I haven’t organised.

• Reply Aleena Brown November 24, 2017 at 3:42 pm

I love that the dads lists are super concise and to the point! Really made me chuckle! #ThursdayTeam

• Reply Leigh-Ann Otto November 27, 2017 at 5:14 pm

This is spot on hahahaha! Sleep. I just want sleep.

• Reply Sarah November 28, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Yep me too! Maybe one day! X

• Reply Amina November 27, 2017 at 7:59 pm

These are awesome! I never thought about giving gifts like that! I love the idea of giving a cleaning gift card for me, and staying in bed watching reflex with take out all day for him!

• Reply Sarah November 28, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Staying in bed right now would be a dream! Xx

• Reply Lucy At Home November 28, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Yes! Something that I don’t have to organise – the kids are taken care of, I don’t need to pack a bag for them or give them a rushed dinner before I pack them into bed and hurriedly try to slap on a bit of makeup – it all has been planned and taken care of. After that, I don’t care where we go! Haha.

And congratulations because someone loved this so much, they added it to the BlogCrush linky! Feel free to collect your “I’ve been featured” blog badge 🙂 #blogcrush

• Reply Debbie December 9, 2017 at 5:19 am

Hi Sarah, men are such simple creatures. My hubby would go for beer and sport on the reply every time!.. I think I’m quite simple too though. I’m not keen on going out and hate surprises. My perfect present would be either something for my camera or peace and quiet and a bar of Cadbury’s.

xx