Lifestyle Mama You Can

It’s a no, so what to do next?

October 22, 2017

Rejection. It’s tough isn’t? It’s something we all have to deal with throughout our lives; whether it’s rejection in a team at school, not getting that dream job or not being able to do something you really wanted to do.

As I 30+ something woman I have had to deal with rejection a fair amount, but as I venture into the new world of blogging and vlogging I am having to deal with rejection more and more. I’m sure no one really wants to talk about rejection, there might be a little thought at the back of their mind that thinks people will think less favourably on them but I’m going to talk about it today as I am starting to frame it in a more positive way, for me.

When I think about the last few months of my blogging journey I have been rejected A LOT. Brands don’t reply to my e-mails, PR’s don’t respond, brands don’t think I’m the right fit – when you put yourself out there ultimately you’re going to have some rejection.

At the time, these rejections were tough, I would question what I was doing. Had I made the right choice to resign from my job? Was I good enough to compete in this world? BUT thinking back after every rejection, sub-conciously I upped my game and I learnt.

I re-designed my blog, updated my logos, my brand look and feel, I wrote more, the Mama You Can series started and I had lots of positive conversations with brands.

Rejection forced me to look at why I wasn’t getting jobs. Other than the obvious, being new to the game, it forced me to take a step back and think; What are others doing well? What could I do well? What areas could I own? What do I love to write about? I do wonder, if I hadn’t have had the rejection I had would I have done these things? Would I have been pushed to really think about my brand and what I wanted to get from it, maybe, but possibly not.

It’s very easy in life to slip into a routine when everything is going well, but when someone says no it does make you think, why? It’s what we do with that why that is so important, some, me included in the past have then been nervous to try things, for fear of rejection –  but if you never try, you’ll never know and you may miss opportunities.

I am now starting to get more work and thinking back the ones I didn’t get probably weren’t right for me, so maybe those rejections were a good thing.

The future

I have set myself some goals, some broader goals for what I want to achieve and (this might sound ridiculous) but some rejection goals, because if you don’t put yourself out there how will you ever know?

I have also decided to start my own business (more on that one soon). Rejection and needing to help support our family has forced me to think about my skill set and what I could and really want to be doing and I am really exited about what is coming next for me!

Rejection has forced me to plan, be more organised and put myself out there, ridiculously for more rejection. But if you don’t try, you’ll never know, right?

Sarah x

• Reply Sarah October 23, 2017 at 9:16 pm

What a lovely post. Tonight I’ve been having one of those “why the he’ll am I doing this?” Moments and your post has given me the lock up the behind I need. Thank you x

• Reply Sarah October 23, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Whoops *kick

• Reply laura stevens October 26, 2017 at 8:55 am

Rejection really does suck, but looking on the positive it can only make us push ourselves to really get to where we want to be x #thursdayteam

• Reply Nicole - Tales from Mamaville October 26, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Lovely post Sarah. I’m at that rejection stage atm as I’m just beginning to put myself out there to brands, so this is exactly what I needed to read.
    #ThursdayTeam

• Reply mummy here and here October 26, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Rejection is tough and hard not to take it personally. Some good tips to get please the pain X #Thursdayteam

• Reply Molly October 26, 2017 at 4:32 pm

I really appreciate the idea of being motivated by rejection. Too often bloggers can make it seem like it is super easy to make money and gain a huge following overnight. Thank you for being real!

• Reply Aleena October 26, 2017 at 10:20 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more – I always try to use rejection as a spur to do better (or just differently) and learn. It can be gutting, absolutely so, but I believe that how you move on from rejection is more a mark of you than being rejected is. Fab post! #ThursdayTeam

• Reply Nicole - Miss Sparkle October 27, 2017 at 5:31 pm

This is so inspiring! Rejection is just a normal part of life and nothing personal. Your blog looks so good, just continue 🙂

• Reply Zarja from myTamarin October 28, 2017 at 10:59 am

Good for you! Life is not what happens to you what you make out of what happens.

• Reply Katie Halsall October 28, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Definitely relate to this! Have been getting loads of rejections lately and it can be a downer, but of course you’ve just got to keep moving forward and doing what you can at the best of your ability!

• Reply Rainy Days Fun October 28, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Oh gosh your post comes just in time as I am experiencing a lot of that lately. Especially in the beginning it’s so hard to take and it throws you off track so easily 🙁

• Reply Jess @ Nora&Co October 28, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Well done on having such a positive outlook on this. Rejection can be so disheartening isn’t it, I really feel the same a lot of the time. Definitely need a dose of your positivity! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Sarah October 30, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Thanks for reading glad you found it useful. X

• Reply Sarah Humphreys October 28, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Rejection is hard to deal with but I just try to, like you, learn from it and think, their loss anyway!! It is what my mum told me after I failed to get a job then when someone took me on they said how great I was, I knew it but they had lost out. there is a lot of rejection in blogging but I don’t take it to heart, or I try not to!

• Reply Sarah October 30, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Your mum is very right and it’s definitely sound advice. It’s easy to take it to heart but sometimes it wasn’t meant to be x

• Reply Nicolette Lafonseca Hargreaves October 28, 2017 at 8:08 pm

All of this we learn so.much more from failing and mistakes than getting it right straight away

I do however feel there is a zeitgiest element to all things media/music/art…etc but that in turn should comfort us in the fact of look some people think wearing crocs is okay you cannot understand it or agree with it you know the footwear you make is better but funny marketing happened and you can accept that

Sorry the analogy Is the best I can manage after the week I have had x

• Reply Sarah October 30, 2017 at 1:14 pm

I think you’re right and sometimes the things we think are perfect maybe aren’t. Thanks for reading x

• Reply Laura October 29, 2017 at 12:41 am

This is a really inspiring outlook. Every rejection gets you closer to the person/opportunity who will say yes, too!

• Reply Sarah October 30, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Fingers crossed! Thanks for reading x

• Reply munchiesandmunchkins October 29, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Rejection as a blogger is so tough, especially when it’s a brand you love. But you have to think about how many of us there are now and enjoy the brand connections we do make and like you say work harder to grow your brand/blog.

• Reply Sarah October 30, 2017 at 1:12 pm

It really can be. There are loads of us aren’t there. Thanks for reading x

• Reply Liza October 29, 2017 at 4:30 pm

That’s such a nice attitude to have, using rejecting as a stepping stone for improving your game and doing whatever it is you are doing (it can be blogging, or work, or studies – I think this applies to so many situations) even better next time.

• Reply Sarah October 30, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I think you’re right it really does. Thanks for reading x

• Reply Jordan D'Amico October 29, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I like to think that everything happens for a reason <3

• Reply Sarah October 30, 2017 at 1:11 pm

I also think this. Thanks for reading

• Reply Natalie Dickinson November 4, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Rejection is crap isn’t it. I just try to tell myself it just simply wasn’t meant to be. I personally love you blog and can imagine there are so many brands out there that would be ecstatic to work with you. I find your posts to be genuine, real and honest! Love your layout too. x

• Reply Little B & Me November 5, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I hate the rejection but it seems lately its a lot to do with people wanting to pay a pittance or wanting to go with people with inflated, false stats.
    I’ve noticed this whilst looking at peoples work threads & it must be so gutting. I am so super pleased that its working for you
    You deserve it <3 You rock it mama