As I sat on the floor the other day, reaching under the sofa happily retrieving 50 balls that had escaped from our ball pit (I say escaped, they were thrown out by unruly toddlers at a play date) I wondered a) what was I doing? b) that I do this about 20 times a day and c) why am I doing this so happily?
It was then I realised that it wasn’t just this I did on auto-pilot there were many laughable ‘jobs’ or things I say or do on multiple occasions since becoming a Mama and mostly a Mama of two.
I thought I would note them down, so I could giggle in 10 years time and maybe as a slight therapy 🙂
The 20 things I do, about a 100 times a day (some are an exaggeration, some not, I actually do them 100 times a day)
- Collecting about 50 ball pit balls from underneath the sofa
- Trying to locate the one missing part of a toy, for example the 10th coin to the moneybox, the pink shape sorter toy, the missing cow from the tractor! They tend to end up in the most random of places or they go to the place no one knows, where most of my socks live…
- Chasing after one of them as they refuse a nappy change, change of clothes etc
- Asking them to go to the table for breakfast, lunch and dinner 10 times before they actually listen, another 10 before they actually go
- Saying yes to Peppa Pig going on!
- Cleaning the floor, then cleaning it again and again
- Saying the word ‘share’
- Saying the word ‘careful’…
- …And ‘gentle’
- Running to school as I’m late, again, even though we got up earlier, how is that possible?
- Leaving the house and after about 10 minutes wonder a) what am I wearing and b) did I brush my hair?
- Forgetting the one thing I needed from the shops, but for the forth day in a row
- Putting the contents of a baby wipes pack, back in said pack
- Trying to find a diversion toy to get my phone back from the baby (who loves my phone, but has smashed it, twice)
- Thinking that maybe this time I can escape to the toilet alone, only to see a little face appear by the door
- Shutting the spice rack cupboard and moving the baby away, only to find her with a jar of oregano in her mouth 2 minutes later (today was the day that cupboard was emptied)!!
- Cooking dinner, then throwing the majority of it away
- Asking my husband at 5.36pm what his ETA is? It’s the same reply every night
- Asking Amelie to find a book she wants to read, then chasing her around her room asking again and again
- When they’re asleep/not with me looking at pictures of them, talking about them and then wanting to see them again!
Do you do any of these?