Lifestyle

Let’s build each other up

September 13, 2017
I feel like over the past couple of weeks all I have seen are posts with such negativity. Why people hate Instamums, why mummy bloggers are annoying, why you can’t have your Instagram this way or that way and do you know what IT’S DRIVING ME MAD!

Why do we have to be so negative? I personally feel the beauty of the world we live in now is that everyone has a way to express themselves, be it through social media, film, writing. But if we take ourselves away from our screens and walk down the street what do you see? Do you see 200 people all wearing the same, talking the same and acting the same.

No. You see individuals. One person may love being creative, the other may hate it, one person might love Chinese food the other doesn’t. We’re different and thank flipping goodness for that or that world would be a pretty boring place wouldn’t it.

So why can’t we be different online? Well we can, but unfortunately there are trolls and keyboard warriors who would never in a million years go up to someone in the street and tell them not to dress the way they do so why is it OK to do that online?

What upsets me more is when fellow Instamums wade into the conversation and start preaching how ‘we’ should run our Instagram feeds. One I read said along the lines of (slightly changed the words) ‘I don’t like accounts that are too professional, curated and perfect’. To that I say, unfollow them, don’t start bringing them down in front of your hundreds of followers, isn’t what you’re saying and doing just like that playground bitchiness where one poor person is stood on their own being mocked by a group?

Maybe that Instamum loves taking photographs, maybe they take pride in what they create, maybe they don’t want to share the time they are cleaning sick off the floor, maybe they want to create an album they can look back on in years to come – to remember the beautiful moments. (I know I forget those moments, but I certainly remember the time I spent an hour cleaning sick off a car seat). Or maybe if you actually read their words they are talking about their struggles and maybe you can also find the wiping sick off the floor moments you crave on their Insta stories!

I’m not the only blogger writing a post like this, it seems there are lots of us out there who luckily want to support each other and build each other up rather than tear each other down.

Finally, to those who don’t like what us mummy bloggers or Instamums are doing, it’s very easy, unfollow, don’t read and move on.

Let’s support each other, this parenting game is tough enough as it is without people always questioning what we do, how we do it and being quite frankly, horrible.

If you want to read more about my story of becoming a blogger click here

• Reply Sonia September 20, 2017 at 11:50 am

Oh I couldn’t agree with you more. I just try and ignore it all as it can really start to get you down x

• Reply Sarah September 23, 2017 at 1:49 pm

It really can can’t it. I try but that post really made me cross! Xx

• Reply Kirsty Dee September 21, 2017 at 10:42 am

Yes, this! I don’t get why people feel the need to put others down. If you don’t like the way someone runs their blog or Instagram then simply unfollow. No need to be unkind about it.

• Reply Sarah September 23, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Totally agree! Thanks for reading x

• Reply Little B & Me September 21, 2017 at 6:37 pm

I love this post darling!
    As you already know I am all for supporting one another & it actually makes me feel FAB!

I love posting comments on images & supporting others, especially when they are struggling or need a shoulder to whinge on!
    Fabulous post! I am also all for the ‘if you don’t like it, don’t look’ thing with instagram!

• Reply Sarah September 23, 2017 at 1:53 pm

You are and you are amazing at supporting everyone, I don’t know where you find the hours! Thanks so much and thanks for reading x

• Reply Lu Lovely September 21, 2017 at 9:28 pm

I think I’m completely ignorant to these sorts of negativity because I never see them. I know lots of people would say my instafeed isn’t how PR companies would like it, etc, but I love it and I love looking at other people’s genuine feeds. It’s like a little window into their lives.

• Reply Sarah September 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I think it’s a lovely window into their lives and I think that’s why it’s my favourite. I just wish people would let others do what they want to do! X

• Reply Elizabeth September 22, 2017 at 7:06 am

The wonderful thing about the internet is that you have the choice whether or not you want to see (or get involved with) anything at all. Don’t like it? Don’t follow it (and that includes those Instamums with their overly opinions!) 🙂 There’s a place on the Internet for all of us. How wonderful is that. 🙂

• Reply Sarah September 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm

It’s amazing isn’t it! We are so lucky to have something where can express ourselves. Just a shame everyone can’t always be nice! Totally agree with you c

• Reply Cardiff Mummy Says - Cathryn September 24, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Well said Surrey Mama! We all have different likes and dislikes and just because something isn’t to your taste, there’s no need to bring people down for it. Like you say, just scroll on by and leave them to carry on enjoying what they are doing, as well as realising that there is more than one of doing things.

• Reply Sarah October 3, 2017 at 12:02 pm