We recently planned and had Amelie’s 3rd birthday party. We are lucky that her birthday falls in the summer months so at the moment we can get away with having a party in the garden (as long as the sun shines)!
Whether it’s a party in your garden, a local hall, a soft play here are my top tips for making the planning and day easier…
- If your child is under four then you can probably get away with not spending too much money on a party as they really don’t appreciate it yet. Save the money for when they’re at school and suddenly you have to invite the whole class!
- Keep numbers low. We had far too many people at Amelie’s second birthday and I spent so much time hosting I hardly saw her and was totally frazzled by the end of the day.
- If you have family able to come and help, delegate some jobs so you can spend time with your little ones.
- If you have a garden party don’t worry about hiring anything – use all of your garden toys and that’ll keep toddlers amused.
- Go old school. The best game on the day with pass the parcel!
- We ditched party bags this year as I am sure 99% of what is given in party bags gets played with for 1 minute before it’s lost or falls to the bottom of the toy box. This year we gave everyone a little fairy cake and balloon to take home with them.
- We had some party decorations from Best Day Ever Party Shop and Amelie absolutely loved helping to get them ready – it was a great activity and she was so excited to see them up on the day. We thought the bunting looked amazing on our white wall in the garden.
- If you do order balloons online, either make sure you have helium or know somewhere to get them blown up to save any last minute panic!
Bunting and balloons from Best Day Ever Party Shop
Food and Drink
- If you are feeding little ones try and get someone to help you with the food or keep it simple, for this year’s party we did; carrot sticks, cucumber, cold pasta salad, little sandwiches, cocktail sausages and Pom bears. This all went down a treat!
Happy Birthday sign and 3 balloon from Best Day Ever Party Shop
Plates, cups and napkins from Garsons Garden Centre
- We decided to buy a birthday cake this year, but in previous years I have made it – I just didn’t have time this year. I did, however, make some cupcakes which the little ones loved so weigh up what you can and can’t do and if you can get someone to make something to help then do.
Cake made by Charlotte Dury
You can find more from Amelie’s third birthday party over on our YouTube channel.
If you like our Youtube videos please do subscribe here …
How have you found toddlers parties? What are your top tips?
*We were kindly sent the items from Best Day Ever Party Shop in exchange for a blog post on the party. All thoughts and opinions are 100% our own*
Read on for my thoughts on toddler play dates