Parenting

Summer holidays: 10 ways you know it’s been one of those days

August 8, 2017
surrey mama

Summer holidays; a time for family fun, holidays and running through parks in the sun…BLISS.

But, if like me, you’re on your own with the children for the whole summer, you had your holiday in May and the weather forecast keeps predicting rain it can often feel like a bit of an uphill battle.

We have had some lovely days, definitely, but for the most, I’m fighting a losing battle with two little ones who need lots of entertainment and are suddenly fighting like cat and dog.

Today has just been one of those days and for your amusement, I had to share the 10 ways I know it’s been a day I’ll be happy to say goodbye to…

1. The weather forecast on the morning news is so gloomy, you decide to hide under your duvet for the day. But, as quickly as you make that decision you hear screams and remember you have children, so you make a coffee and cry silent tears.

2. By 8 am you feel like you’ve done a days work, but you haven’t emptied the dishwasher, put anything away from breakfast and you most certainly haven’t brushed your hair! That’s a toddler and a baby for you!

3. You plan what you think is a great, original rainy day activity, but when you turn up the rest of your town also had the same brainwave. You sit in an over crowded room, with everyone else thinking ‘why did I do this?’, whilst trying to locate your children as they try to escape.

4. You go to your local children’s centre hoping to burn half an hour in their garden, only to find it’s shut.

5. Your baby develops a love for your toddler’s jigsaws, but when I say a love, it’s a love for chewing and destroying creations. Cue tears and the toddlers only rainy day distraction in ruins.

6. You manage to ruin fish fingers! I mean seriously, who can ruin fish fingers?

7. You finally get two children to nap (yay) and a delivery person knocks so loudly you think the house is going to fall down. Extra annoyingly, the package isn’t even for you!

8. It didn’t rain, so you spent all day doing activities in over crowded rooms when you could have gone to the park!

9. You bribe your toddler to go up for her bath with a snack. After some serious negotiations which you win YAY you realise said snack was eaten in the same manner yesterday and that YOU HAVE NONE LEFT.

10. Your husband’s train is delayed.

One of those days. Let’s hope tomorrow will be better…

But until then.

Cheers to only 33 days left.

Bridie By The Sea
Cuddle Fairy

• Reply Colette August 8, 2017 at 11:25 pm

I definitely had one of those days today. We’ve been so busy recently that today was about staying at home and trying to get the house straight – but really I feel like I just managed their bickering all day!

• Reply Sarah August 10, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Same. In fact this happens a lot with me. I always have good intentions of washing / sorting but they have a way of taking over!!

• Reply Emma August 9, 2017 at 1:11 pm

The doorbell thing literally just happened to me!! Except I have a teething baby who won’t let me put him down for naps so I just ignored it and stayed upstairs rocking on the chair while it gloomily pours down outside 😥

• Reply Sarah August 9, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Oh no! I hope it gets easier soon. Evie is teething and she has been so miserable recently I feel your pain! X

• Reply Nat - Awaybies August 9, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Omg I could have written this myself! Such hard work isn’t it. That doorbell thing is the worst… we put a big sign on the door telling people to knock quietly (I wanted it to say “go away! We don’t want anything!!”) Sadly our toddler has now dropped his naps but that does make it slightly easier in some ways…but the day does feel relentless sometimes (most of the time).
    I just really hope this weather improves soon! It’s so much easier to entertain kids outdoors.

• Reply Sarah August 10, 2017 at 1:39 pm

It really is isn’t it! We have been at the park this morning and they were so much happier! X

• Reply Kelly-Anne | Mimi Rose and Me August 10, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Haha. I couldn’t have written this better myself! It’s been crazy in my household today!

• Reply Sarah August 10, 2017 at 1:38 pm

It’s the weather isn’t it, I swear I drives them crazy! Hope it gets better for you x

• Reply Charlotte (@hungry_charlerpillar) August 10, 2017 at 8:59 pm

This has made me Chuckle, love your blogs as always Sarah xx. I class myself as a ‘foodie’ but I too have been beaten by the art of fish-finger cooking 😂

• Reply Sarah August 10, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Aww thanks! What is it with those pesky fish fingers hey?! 😂

• Reply Annette, 3 Little Buttons August 14, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Nooooooo! That sounds like a terrible day. Haha! What happened to those fish fingers?? It’s so much easier when the sun is shining don’t you think. Cheers to some sun our way. #DreamTeam x