Parenting

When your toddler starts to outwit you…

June 27, 2017
when a toddler outwits you

It’s been a slow change, one of those changes where you don’t really notice it until something happens and you think WHAT AM I DOING?!

What am I referring to? My toddler and specifically the fact my toddler now outwits me / gets me to do what she wants.

I said something on Instagram the other day and when I read it back it dawned on me that she totally owns me.
I’m not entirely sure how this is possible though? I’m 32 for goodness sake (I think, each year kind of merges into one these days). Anyway, I’m old, she’s nearly three. How at three can a toddler outwit a grown woman? Very well it appears…
Here are some of the ways my toddler has outwitted me over the last week…
1. Bedtime – This has got to be the number one way she gets me every time. Most toddlers I know don’t particularly love going to bed (if yours does then please send me tips). She’s worked out brilliant ways to get more time with me and more books.
Her best trick, the potty. I mean what kind of awful mama can deny their child a wee and doesn’t she know it. I’m up and down those stairs because she needs a wee and a poo about 30 times, once there she quickly lets me know it’s going to take ‘a long time mummy’. Oh fab. Pass me a book while you sit there then darling. And there you have it, more time with mama, another book and the tiniest wee you have ever seen.
She then has to go to the big girl toilet, wash her hands, get back into bed and have cuddles and kisses (repeat all of this countless times and you can see where my evenings go)!
Toddler 1. Mama 0.

2. Clothes – Amelie has become quite particular about what she wears recently, words such a ‘yuck’ and ‘no’ are thrown into the conversation when dressing her (oh and everything has to be pink or purple). Last weekend we went to a wedding blessing which required a dress. Not having time to go shopping with Amelie herself I thought I would be clever. I bought three dresses. What a lovely idea I thought, she can choose the one she really likes. Hahahaha wasn’t I wrong.

She declared that she’d wear the princess dress for the wedding and the floaty one for her birthday. Two dresses, two £48 dresses. Thoughts were racing through my mind. Do I take one of ones she wants back? Keep them both (can’t do that husband will actually divorce me), take both of them to the wedding and let her decide then? But then what if she remembers the birthday one!! You can see my dilemma.
She wore the princess one in the end and guess what I still have both dresses!!

Toddler 1. Mama. 0

3. Meal times – Amelie can be quite a fussy eater so recently I came up with the best plan to try and combat this. Get her to make her dinners and hopefully she’ll feel empowered that she made her own food and hopefully eat more.

The clever little cookie outwitted me again, whilst making the food (let’s take the homemade pizzas as an example) she kept sneaking toppings as we made them and I only noticed as I ran back from saving a newly crawling Evie from a fall. Once the pizza was cooked, what did she say ‘mummy I have a full tummy’ ahhhhhhhh

Toddler 1. Mama. 0

4. Sleeping – You can probably guess how this one will go. Amelie knows that Evie is a light sleeper and once she’s up, it’s impossible to get her back to sleep. I think she also knows that I stay up late to work. Combine this all and when she starts screaming for me at 3am the last thing I want is a stand off trying to get her back in her bed (I’m knackered, Evie’s starting to stir).

Of course she’s cottoned onto this so she’s already collected her toys up and packed a bag ready for her trip to our bed.

Poor Daddy doesn’t have enough room so off he goes to the spare room and so what does little Miss clever get? Half a king sized bed (actually most of it) and cuddles with mama.

Toddler 1. Mama. 0

So there we have it, I have well and truly been outwitted by a toddler, who isn’t even three!

Part of me thinks HELP! I’m totally under the thumb and what on earth will I do when she’s a teenager but the other half thinks that she’ll only be young once. She’ll only want to snuggle with me in bed for a little while longer, if she eats pizza toppings at least she’s eaten and for the most she is a very helpful, polite and well behaved little girl.
So have I really won? Or has she outwitted me again?!
Xx

• Reply Lexie June 30, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Haha. Sounds like you have a bright little girl, there!
    Thanks for the giggle. 🙂

• Reply Sarah July 8, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Eeeek send help! 😂😂

• Reply Ray July 1, 2017 at 9:41 am

This is so painfully relatable. It’s scary when you suddenly realise your kid knows exactly what they’re doing!

• Reply Sarah July 8, 2017 at 8:03 pm

They are very clever aren’t they x

• Reply Rainbows are too beautiful July 2, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Our little girl is so smart… it’s scary! #kcacols

• Reply Sarah July 8, 2017 at 8:03 pm

I think girls are aren’t they x

• Reply Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons# July 3, 2017 at 6:19 am

They’re tiny geniuses I swear! Max is exactly the same with bedtime, there’s always something – another story, a wee, a cuddle, and his favourite, “my tummy hurts”. I feel like such a mean mummy when I just have to say “close your eyes and try to sleep”! His eating is shocking at the moment too – so much so that I’d take eating the pizza toppings as a win! Max had an inoffensive cheese and tomato pizza the other day – bland enough that I thought there’d be no way he’d object. He proceeded to pick off the cheese – “Max no like cheese”… I give up! #KCACOLS

• Reply Sarah July 8, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Oh goodness! Amelie and Max sound like they would get on well… Amelie’s eating is always shocking, I could cry sometimes at what she refuses to eat! X

• Reply Wendy July 5, 2017 at 10:02 am

Haha oh yes I can relate..especially the suddenly needing about 50 wees when he goes to bed! They are masters of manipulation these kids of ours, I think all mums are wrapped around their toddlers little fingers xx #blogcrush

• Reply Sarah July 8, 2017 at 8:01 pm

They really are aren’t they, she knows exactly what she’s doing🙈

• Reply mainy July 6, 2017 at 11:38 am

I love this and you are so right! My boys have had me wrapped around their fingers for years and they still do… bless them!:)
    Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time
    Mainy

• Reply Sarah July 8, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Haha! I have a feeling they will for a long time x

• Reply Becky @ Educating Roversi July 9, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I said to my Mum the other day “That boy is far too clever for his own good.” Im proud that he’s bright and obviously switched on, but it’s making parenting more difficult! My son has just turned 3 and I’m just 33. Similar age to you and your daughter 🙂 I’m at the point where my son is telling me not to talk with my mouthful and if I say “well if you’re good you can…” and he says “But I’m already being good” which is 9/10 true. Maybe we just have to say that we are creating and bringing up very clever and intelligent humans. #KCACOLS

• Reply Sarah July 9, 2017 at 8:51 pm

I think you’re right, we are definitely raising intelligent little ones! She told me today to put my seat belt on 😂😂 x

• Reply Becs July 10, 2017 at 10:07 am

Sarah this made me laugh out loud. It is all too true x

• Reply Lucy At Home July 13, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Ah this sounds oh-so familiar! I have an almost-2yo and we have very similar battles. It’s amazing how long it can take them to go to the toilet, isn’t it! Haha!

And congratulations because someone loved this post so much, they added you to the #blogcrush linky! Feel free to collect your “I’ve been featured” blog badge! #blogcrush

• Reply Sarah July 14, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Thanks Lucy. Oh goodness – the toilet trick is ridiculous, she’s just gone it to me for her nap 🙈

• Reply Little B & Me July 13, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Haha,
    What a great post.
    B tries a few of these but I’ve become aware of them, my mum on the other hand lets him get away with it & will let him try for a wee for half an hour!
    x

• Reply Sarah July 14, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Thank you! Haha I think Grandparents sometimes do don’t they! X

• Reply Acorn Books July 14, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Definitely enjoy the snuggles while she still wants them and take courage in the fact that she is a headstrong clever girl who will grow in to a strong woman 😉 #KCACOLS

• Reply Sarah July 20, 2017 at 6:12 am

Yes she definitely is, I always love the cuddles… especially as they are going down in number 😢 x

• Reply Stephanie Cummings July 14, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Oh dear, she is one smart girl. Sadly I don’t have kids and really don’t ever want them so I can’t offer words of wisdom but please keep note of other ways she outwits you as it makes for a great read!!

• Reply Sarah July 20, 2017 at 6:12 am

I will do… I will look back and laugh I am sure x

• Reply Dani July 14, 2017 at 9:33 pm

The title of your post drew me to read on and I’m sooo glad I did! I giggled the whole way through whilst thinking how my 16 month old uses tricks to get what he wants. I’ve attempted to reduce random nursing feeds during the day so when Eco wants some of mummy’s milk for comfort he’ll come up to me, give me the biggest hug followed by a loving wet kiss with a loud MWAAAHH then attempt to help himself by rummaging down my top. Some days I am able to distract him with something else but on other days I’m guilty of giving in! #KCACOLS

• Reply Sarah July 20, 2017 at 6:09 am

Hahahaha these little ones know how to get what they want don’t they! Thanks so much for reading x