Lifestyle Parenting

Holidays pre-children vs. after children

May 24, 2017
routine holiday for baby sani resort

Holidays with children have definitely changed a) how we holiday and b) what we do whilst we’re there.

That and our recent holiday inspired this post about the difference between holidays pre and after children.

Hopefully it’ll give you a chuckle and for me – I hope to look back in 10 years time and laugh as I watch the girls play on the beach whilst sipping a cold glass of rose (that’s the dream).

Enough of my day dreaming, here’s the list, pre and after children is the way we’re going with this one…. first up destination.

Destination

Pre – An adults only, luxury resort – you lie down and hear waves lap against the sand, bliss. The only sound is someone asking ‘would you like a drink’, ‘a cold towel’, ‘some fruit’ – oh yes go on then I am on holiday.

After – A child friendly hotel. Long gone are the sounds of the ocean instead there are the screams and shouts of hundreds of children. Also add to that shouts of parents as they try and locate their child that has dashed off down the beach/snatched a spade from a sibling/thrown sand at another child.

IMG_5906

The travelling bit

Pre – You’re quite happy to do a park and ride, it doesn’t matter if you have to wait a few minutes for a bus.

After – It’s an absolute requirement to drive into the terminal and get as close to the gate as possible.

IMG_5535

The day

Pre – You wake up and panic about what time breakfast closes as you had such a wonderful lie in. In the evenings you head back to the room when the sun sets because you have all night to eat.

After – You worry about what what time breakfast buffet opens as you’ve been up since 5am! You leave to get children bathed and out of the door ready for dinner at what feels like lunchtime.

IMG_5580

Sunbathing

Pre – You come back a lovely bronzed colour and everyone asks where you’ve been.

After – Sunbathing – maw hahahahaha. You sit under a parasol, or in a darkened room while your toddler naps. You return with a few freckles from seeing the sun on the walk to the plane.

IMG_5691

Lunching

Pre – When a waiter comes over to ask for your order you ask about three times to have 5 more minutes as you are too busy talking / looking at the menu trying to decide.

After – You physically bring the waiter over to order your food and ask three times that the toddlers meal is brought AS SOON AS IT IS READY. Your toddler sits with the iPad and headphones on and you spend the whole time worrying about a) how much the people without children hate you and b) what they must think of iPad child’s parents.

IMG_6542-2.JPG

Friends

Pre – You stick as a couple and do your own thing.

After – You get to know everyone in the resort and know everyones life history – just because of the children.

IMG_5723

Your wardrobe

Pre – You planned outfits for every evening, had matching bikinis and cover ups and new sunglasses/beach bags.

After – I had no idea what I’d packed but our children looked like supermodels.

IMG_5567

Dinner

Pre – You spend a fortune on a delicious meal out, you admire the view, you talk about everything you’ve not managed to recently and after a bottle of wine head to a bar for another drink.

After – You spend a fortune on the quickest meal you have ever had. A bowl of plain pasta costs 12 euros, your baby throws puréed spaghetti bolognase on your white dress. You’re not entirely sure where you sat/who else was in the restaurant – could have been a celebrity for all you knew. As you wrestle a waiter for the bill you both manage to down a glass of wine as you’re leaving with a crying baby in a pram and a toddler asking for an ice cream.

IMG_6428

The hotel room

Pre – You used the phone to order room service.

After – The hotel phone is used as a toy and you hum the hold music all day long.

The safe

Pre – You use the safe to store valuables away from thieves.

After – You use it to hide EVERYTHING from your children, including the suitcase of snacks.

IMG_5581

Who you travel with

Pre – You want to travel as a couple or with friends and as far away as possible

After (and after your first holiday as a family) – You invite the Grandparents along to the next holiday – babysitting and children’s entertainers anyone?

IMG_5439

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Don’t get me wrong I had a wonderful holiday and the memories made were ones that will stay with me, but it was funny having a think about how things have changed.

Any others you’d add to that list?

Sarah x

Bringing up Georgia
Mummuddlingthrough

• Reply Kristie - Mammaprada May 24, 2017 at 5:45 pm

This is brilliant! My second babymoon (with first child in tow) we were definitely the iPad parents. We had never had to do it before but our son became a monster every night at dinner. By the third day we caved! Sigh… x

• Reply sarahsurreymama May 24, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Thank you. Yes at first we were like ‘leave the iPad in the room’ by day two we got it straight out! ?

• Reply anywaytostayathome May 25, 2017 at 10:22 am

We’ve been there waiting for breakfast to open. Done the same with dinner. I don’t care that the restaurant doesn’t open until 7pm, I have a starving toddler now, can’t you just throw some bread sticks our way or something #fortheloveofBLOG

• Reply Nicole Roder May 25, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Great post! Though I’m NEVER early to breakfast, even with the kids. It takes us forever to get out in the morning. #coolmumclub

• Reply sarahsurreymama May 25, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Thanks so much! Haha, we struggle but when you have a hungry toddler you just kind of run and hope you have everything! ?

• Reply Janine Sabbagh May 26, 2017 at 10:14 am

Great post! I can totally relate with ‘I don’t know what I packed for myself but my children look like super models’. I’ve forgotten my own knickers and pyjamas once to hols. There is just not enough head space for all the things you need to think about! Even predicting the future sometimes! Crazy ?.

• Reply sarahsurreymama May 26, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Hahahaha! Oh gosh yes I know I think I packed the whole of boots just in case ?

• Reply catherinestribs May 26, 2017 at 11:21 am

Haha! Love this! We are off on our first proper holiday with a small person in August! She will be 20 months. Oh and did I mention the whole family are coming?! Grandparents, aunty, uncle and cousins of similar age! ?? support network team are to! #fortheloveofBLOG

• Reply sarahsurreymama May 26, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Brilliant! You’ll have an amazing time – make sure you get out for a dinner with your OH we did miss that this year xx

• Reply motherhoodtherealdeal May 26, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Lol basically after kids it’s not really a holiday…more just parenting somewhere else with a bit of sun, sea and sand….ah the good old days eh? But we wouldn’t change it for a thing we would? Or would we……Thanks for linking up o #coolmumclub lovely xoxo

• Reply sarahsurreymama May 29, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Haha! Nope wouldn’t change it for the world but I’m taking my parents next time ?

• Reply Kelly Edwards May 26, 2017 at 6:16 pm

I love this list. Especially the ‘they look like supermodels’. I’m always buying nice stuff for Georgia, but never for me! Thanks for linking up with #forhteloveofBLOG

• Reply sarahsurreymama May 29, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Haha it’s so true isn’t it! Thanks for reading x

• Reply Wendy May 30, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Haha love this..you have pretty much summed it all up here. We went to Italy in April and I went with the in laws and my brother in laws and their children..it was amazing having so many babysitters…don’t think we’ll ever go on holiday without people to help now xx #BlogCrush

• Reply Silly Mummy June 1, 2017 at 12:09 am

Haha – very true! It is a bit different! #coolmumclub

• Reply This Mum At Home November 30, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Where about are the photos taken ? Looks beautiful I’m always in the hunt for new places!

• Reply Sarah November 30, 2017 at 3:20 pm